The goal for the new $28M, 121,000 SF Convocation Center was to provide a premier venue for sporting events and other special university and community events at Campbell University. This is the largest facility of its type in the area, and the largest single construction project ever in the county.
The new arena contains a featured court/arena used for commencement, basketball, volleyball and other varsity sports, a wrestling room, weight room, training and exercise rooms, 2-story lobby, administration office spaces and an auxiliary practice gymnasium. Campbell greatly values its close relationship with the community and makes the facility available for concerts, conferences, and community sporting and other special events.
The project team succeeded in creating a premier site for major university and community events that is not only attractive, but efficient, functional, durable and one that has become a center piece in the successful growth of the university. The Convocation Center has enhanced the university’s status in athletics and student life. It has helped the basketball team grow in stature through increased attendance, improved recruiting and added excitement in the program.
- High efficiency chilled water, heating water and air handling systems serve the various loads of the facility, and VAV terminal units with heating water coils were utilized for zone control.
- Building Automation System (BAS) provides set back controls, scheduling, optimized start sequences, and interface with campus network.
- Arena sports lighting with 350-watt pulse start metal halide fixtures with programmable shutters allow for multiple programmable scenes and effects.
- New site lighting, walkway lighting fixtures and building canopy lighting were provided.
- Microprocessor controlled fire alarm system was provided, including an emergency voice/alarm communication system (EVACS) for emergency voice messaging in the event of a fire alarm.
- Dedicated ‘Company Switch’ panels are provided for the arena sound system and a mobile broadcast truck.
- An emergency generator system with automatic transfer switching was provided for the fire pump, fire alarm and egress lighting systems.