The original Julia Rogers Library building was constructed in 1952 and served as the campus library until 2009. With the completion of the new Athenaeum/Library in 2009 and relocation of the old library, the Julia Rogers Building was left vacant. With an increasing student enrollment, increase in faculty, and the need for a modern learning environment led Goucher College to undertake an extensive renovation to transform the building into a new academic center.
The 3-story, 63,000 GSF building was completely renovated to replace the aging HVAC and electrical systems in the building, and reprogrammed to provide a learning environment with technology enhanced classrooms, seminar rooms, advanced teaching labs, computer labs, faculty offices and administrative support space. The new building provides space for the departments of Physics, Math, Computer Science, Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Political Science and Modern Languages. The project also included the addition of a 3,000 SF mechanical room on the east side of the building to accommodate new air handlers and pumps, as well as provide additional office space on the second level. The building has received LEED Silver Certification through the USGBC.
- A mixture of 4 pipe induction units and variable air volume (VAV) re-heat terminal units are used to accommodate the limited ceiling space
- The induction units are provided with 100% outside air pre- conditioned by energy recovery wheels
- Insta-hot units were used for all sinks and lavatories in the building
- All utilities are metered to qualify for additional LEED points
- All motors are provided with variable speed drives (VFDs)
- All spaces are controlled via occupancy sensors and dimmer light switch controls
- Lamp selection for over 90% of the building was designed using LED fixtures
- Existing incoming high voltage electrical service was replaced with low profile, pad-mounted deadfront switches and transformers to replace the live-front equipment
- Overall electrical service was decreased by 25%