The WakeMed Healthplex is a state-of-the-art medical complex that offers convenient access to a variety of outpatient, diagnostic and treatment options for the growing communities in the Apex area. In addition to the first free-standing Emergency Department in the area, the four-story Healthplex includes provisions for radiology, laboratory services, outpatient surgery and endoscopy, outpatient rehabilitation and physician offices.
The facility earned multiple awards for its design and construction, including: Soliant Health – 20 Most Beautiful Hospitals in the U.S., Carolinas ABC Excellence in Construction Award, and DXR 2007 Award for Excellence. The building was also featured in multiple publications, such as: Healthcare Design, Construction Communications, Triangle Business Journal and Carolinas/Georgia Construction. The Healthcare Design magazine featured the project as a “Facility Showcase” for ambulatory care centers.
- All mechanical and electrical systems permit the building to function as a stand-alone facility, and include medical gas and emergency power systems critical to an emergency department and outpatient surgical center.
- A combination of constant and variable volume terminal reheat units provide thermal control for individual rooms, while high-efficiency air filtration is provided for all patient treatment and diagnostic areas.
- Tank manifold systems provide redundancy for medical gases, as well as medical vacuum and air compressors.
- A complete direct digital control system provides efficient operation of all building primary and secondary mechanical systems, and provides a web-link for off-site monitoring and control.
- Additional energy saving features include daylighting in the lobby, corridors and waiting areas, as well as water-saving plumbing fixtures throughout.