The Inova Women’s and Children’s Hospital Tower is the newest addition to the Fairfax Medical Campus. This expansive 680,000 SF state-of-the-art facility consists of a 12-story patient tower which adds 310 beds and specialty operating rooms to the medical campus in support of the current overcrowding conditions and projected growth of the community.
The new building provides a dedicated, cutting-edge women’s surgery center occupying nine floors of the tower, featuring 192 private beds, 8 operating rooms, 33 labor delivery and recovery suites, high-risk perinatal units, antenatal testing center, and a NICU. The Children’s Hospital occupies the remaining three floors of the building, featuring 118 private pediatric beds including, cardiac rooms, hematology/oncology rooms, PIMC units, PICU’s, and isolation rooms.
RMF designed the MEP systems and updated the aging infrastructure for this building’s unique design, which allows for rapid conversion of clinical areas to maintain flexibility.
- 150,000 CMF air Handling unit factory fabricated, shipped and field erected
- Incorporated a fan wall array air handling system (6 fans)
- A new Central Energy Plant was designed to support he hospital which includes two 1800 ton chillers, cooling towers and pumps to support expansion loads
- Additional emergency generators, 3 future generators and associated fuel tanks
- A new utility tunnel was provided to support hospital expansion and connect to the existing campus facilities
- Evaluated the life cycle and operational costs of Green Building design options in an effort to reduce operating costs
- Received USGBC LEED Silver Certification