Fairfax Hospital, Inova Health System’s flagship hospital, is a nationally recognized regional medical center. The hospital is consistently ranked among the top healthcare providers in the United States. It offers Northern Virginia’s only Level-1 trauma center for treating the most critically injured patients, has one of the nation’s most-sought-out obstetrics programs and offers a Level-3 neonatal intensive care unit. The Inova Heart and Vascular Institute (IHVI) is the region’s only dedicated cardiac care facility, housing the most advanced technology and facilities dedicated to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of heart disease.
The IHVI clinical facility offers the full spectrum of diagnostic and interventional cardiac services, as well as electrophysiology, cardiac surgery including robotics, heart and lung transplantation and implantation of artificial heart devices. The facility is designed to accommodate three floors of vertical expansion.
Two mechanical penthouses are provided to serve the patient towers and cardiovascular operating room (CVOR) wing. Critical program spaces are separated to accommodate stringent criteria in spaces such as CVOR’s, tuberculosis isolation rooms and patient protective environments. Wet mechanical rooms house medical air plant, surgical vacuum plant and a waste anesthesia evacuation system as well as preheat, reheat and domestic water systems for the entire building.
The project required mechanical and electrical upgrades to the central utility plant along with extension of the utility tunnel. New chillers, emergency generators and a boiler were provided as well as a tunnel extension to complete a section of the campus chilled water and steam piping loops.
RMF provided full commissioning services for both building and infrastructure systems.
- 48 cardiac ICU/CCU beds
- 108 cardiac telemetry beds
- 12 negative pressure isolation rooms
- 6 positive pressure isolation rooms
- Universal patient rooms
- 6 CVOR’s
- 4 EP labs
- 7 cardiac catheterization labs
- A short stay unit, kitchen, underground parking, outpatient clinic, and cardiac therapy gym
People & Technology Leveraged
- RMF garnered input from many of the cardiac specialists who now call IHVI home. These specialists collaborate to use innovative approaches to treat the most challenging cardiovascular problems. They combine their expertise, access to tertiary services, and state-of-the-art technology to provide the very best therapies and protocols for each patient.
- IHVI won a first place ASHRAE Regional Technology award for New Healthcare Facilities.